A natural gas leak on the north side of Des Moines closed off parts of Lower Beaver Road this morning. Mark Nemmers Deputy Fire Chief with the Johnston Fire Department says maintenance crews were working on the pressure release valve when there was a malfunction causing large amounts of gas to release into the air. The sound coming from the gas pipe was deafening,;anyone within the area had to yell to get messages back and forth.
Crews from MidAmerican Energy and Northern Natural Gas went through precautionary "checks" for about 2 and a half hours until the valve was deemed safe to shut off. No injuries were reported, and no one was in immediate danger.
Watch video of the gas leak HERE